Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lucky in Love, Part 1

My husband and I will be celebrating our one year wedding  anniversary this Sunday. So I thought I'd share our wedding with you. I've decided to break it up since it would be picture overload! So this post is dedicated to the setting of our wedding and all the items I made.

I was never the girl who dreamed about my wedding. When we got engaged I really had no idea where to begin or what I really wanted, other then I wanted to share the day with my family and a few of our very close friends.  My husband had already been married before and had done the whole wedding thing so he would have been happy just doing it at the courthouse. Which I did ponder over this option, but I'm so glad I decided to go the wedding route. As we began to plan our day we realized that the most important thing to us was that it reflected our personalities and passions that we shared.

First and foremost, I wanted a barn! I'm a country girl at heart, plus my husband and I are both fond of the western genre.  Lucky for us my soon to be brother-in-law had one in their back yard.
I spent the first few months of our engagement (we were engaged for 8 months) searching the web and magazines for ideas on how I wanted to bring the whole thing together. Then on etsy I came across a stamp that read "Lucky in Love" that was circled around double horseshoes that were overlapping one another.  Perfect! This became our emblem. I fell in love with bunting, pom poms, ceremony fans, heart shaped paper decorations,  and red gingham.

I made almost everything myself. Even the pom poms all 350 of 'em, with some help from people at work!! I made bunting using gingham fabric, paisley fabric and burlap. The cones I made from card stock to hold the poms and I printed the message on circle stickers. I made paper heart decorations using strips of red and brown card stock that we stapled up into a heart shape. I bought wood horseshoes from Joanns and painted them to make hangers for the ends of the aisles.  I made table runners using the same fabric I did for the bunting. We saved food jars over the months to use for our flowers the my mother, sister and I put together the day before. I made all kinds of signs for the different areas. I pretty much created almost everything for our wedding, and I'm happy I did!

I also knew that I didn't want  a typical guestbook. I wanted something that once our wedding was over we could put on display. Since music, my husband is in a band and I met him at one of his gigs, brought us together I decided that we'd put a guitar out that people could sign.

I had also come across some amazing bouquets that were made using felt, buttons and metal findings. I, of course being the crazy person that I am, added this to the list of things I had to make. I whipped up felt flowers, using vintage broaches, and stringed buttons so that my maid of honor and I could have a completely untraditional bouquet for the ceremony, which by the way I almost left at our hotel!! Here are the two bouquets stuffed in my vintage travel bag (my mother had bought me the train case, travel bag and hanging bag as a gift for the wedding) and a close up with our wedding rings on the bouquet.

 And now so that you can start to see what I looked like on my wedding day, I will share with you my pre wedding dress outfit. I made a housecoat to wear while I was getting ready using a vintage pattern that I had come across in a local thrift store.
In the background you can see my wedding dress, which was made for me. I also made my own veil which you will see more of in the next post.

4 comments:

  1. This is absolutely charming! What a beautiful and unique wedding, and congratulations on your anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, congrats. Looks like my kinda day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks like it was amazing! I love all the elements you put together, so creative. Just up my alley too. :) Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I'm so impressed you made so many things yourself! This would be my goal for my wedding but how long did it take you?! I think finding the time to do everything I wanted would be difficult. Is it at your parents' house or someone you knows? It looks like something out of a movie! I'm from London, England and am very jealous of the beautiful setting. I love that you even made a vintage house coat to wear while getting ready! And the bandanas are a great idea. I think it's the little things all put together that make it really special. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete